Just Results, is a personalized, healthy weight loss program with a nutritional counselor. It is designed to support you in losing weight and to develop healthy eating habits. The goal for you to learn how to lose weight, and more importantly, how to keep it off by eating healthy. This will be accomplished through evidenced based weight loss strategies that you will practice and master!
There are no gimmicks or magic pills. The program is about you integrating a healthy eating and exercise into your daily living. Yes, you will lose weight during the 10 weeks many up to 20-25 pounds. The average that I have seen is around 12 pounds. However, the point is that after this program you will have the skills to continue on your weight loss journey and to reach your set goal.
We recommend this program for people preparing for bariatric surgery, those who want to lose a small amount of weight, those with chronic health challenges such as diabetes, and obesity, those who just want to learn how to eat healthy and those who have repeatedly tried diets that just do not work for them.
Participation and success does require a commitment to the evidenced based structure of this program. If you are not ready yet, then do not set yourself up for failure. However, we will support you in keeping this commitment as we know change can be very difficult. I can tell you it is worth it as once you integrate the program components into your lifestyle, you will feel so much better and be proud of your achievements. If you have questions, please call me.
Contact Judith Cox, Nutrition and Wellness Consultant and Certified Weight Management Specialist, for more information. email@example.com 518-505-2669.
Just Results: Program Components
- Personalized Weight Loss Plan We will be using a Weight loss planning strategy developed by the National Institute of Diabetes and digestive and Kidney Diseases. It will allow you to make personalized calorie and physical activity plans to reach a goal weight within a specific time period and to maintain it afterwards. Prior to starting this class, you will be asked to fill out a personal fact sheet which will give us the information to develop and monitor your plan.
- Understanding your Reasons for an Unhealthy Weight and motivation to change or not to change. Motivational interviewing (MI)is an effective evidence-based approach to overcoming the ambivalence that keeps many people from making desired weight loss changes. Basically, MI helps people get unstuck from their ambivalence. Ambivalence is feeling two ways about something. People who are struggling with weigh loss often recognize the risks, costs and harm involved in excessive weight and on the other hand they are attracted to the reasons they are not losing weight. They want to continue their eating habits and they don’t want to. In this program, we will be using a decisional balance worksheet to help you resolve your ambivalence.
- Healthy Eating Plan to Match Your Weight Loss goals- The eating plan will follow your personalized weight loss plan, but is based on the work of key experts on diet and nutrition. It supports intake of essential macro, micro, and phytonutrients to maintain a healthy body and avoid common chronic western dietary and lifestyle diseases. Calorie intake and exercise are not enough for weigh loss or to good health. The types of foods and drink you put in your body are important to your overall health, feeling of fullness and adequate energy level and balancing gut bacteria. Cutting back on sugar and refined carbs while choosing foods with adequate fiber, protein, healthy fats, and carbs is critical to keeping weight off. Do not worry, we will teach you how to make heathy choices and show you how to substitute healthy foods for some of your favorite not so healthy one.
- Intermittent Fasting-We define this using Dr. Michael Greger’s concept of time restrictive fasting. It involves confining calorie intake to a set window of time. The research of Dr. Michael Greger shows that this is an intervention that does support weight loss and is an option. In this program we will help you set up a strategy for time- restricted eating that will work with your lifestyle. An example is not eating between 7pm and 7am.
- Food and Exercise Tracker. In this program you will using a weight loss app in which you can monitor and record daily eating and exercise Research has shown a greater weight loss among persons who do monitor their eating and exercise . For example A 2008 study, published in the August edition of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, included 1,685 overweight or obese U.S. adults concludes that the he most powerful predictor of their weight loss was how many days per week participants kept their food diary. Those who kept food records six days a week -- jotting down everything they ate and drank on those days -- lost about twice as much weight as those who kept food records one day a week or less.
- Eating Mindfully- This is the awareness of what we are eating, how we are eating, why we are eating, and when we are eating?1 Many of us enjoy snacking or grabbing “seconds” at dinner time.. In this program we will be introducing a general awareness of mindful eating and teaching mindfulness techniques for participants with binge eating, emotional eating and eating in response to external cues
- Weekly Virtual Support & Progress Review with Weight Management Specialist - Each week you will participate in a one hour zoom call to review progress, answers questions, and acquire new information e.g. fact sheet on healthy fats, new recipes. Prior to the meeting you will email your virtual heath coach with copy of your progress with exercise and eating. This will be generated from the app being used to record these behaviors. Progress data will be confidential and recorded on a spread sheet which will be shared during the zoom meeting. This will identify you with a letter or symbol so only you will know your progress, but you can compare it with other group members.
- Virtual Exercise Classes- Your personalized weight plan will dictate the amount of exercise you need to create a calorie deficit that results in weight loss. You will be provided with links to virtual classes so you can create a personalized schedule. Additionally, your plan can incorporate other exercise e.g. walking or resistance training you want to include. In designing your exercise schedule, we recommend this guidance from The Center for Disease Control and Prevention:
- When losing weight, more physical activityincreases the number of calories your body uses for energy or “burns off.” The burning of calories through physical activity, combined with reducing the number of calories you eat, creates a “calorie deficit” that results in weight loss. Your personalized weight plan will dictate the amount of exercise you need to create a calorie deficit that results in weight loss.
- Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way tomaintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
- Most importantly, physical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, osteoporosis, and symptoms of depression and anxiety beyond that produced by weight.